Friday, January 22, 2010

Tales of California's Central Coast

Miles: 2331.9
Gallons Burned: ~80
Caffinated Drinks: 19
Since the weather still sticks how about I tell the tale of my passing from San Jose to West Hollywood.

I stopped in Salinas to see the Steinbeck Museum:



I have only read one of Steinbeck's books East of Eden, a book close to my heart. I loved the concept of timsel (the hebrew script carved in the tablet). I also learned of his book where he chronicled his journey around the US with his dog Charlie. My own trip is inspired by two sources (see links), but surely if had read Steinbeck's work I certainly would have found a third source. I will find this book and learn from his wisdom.

Then I drove South on CA 1/101 where through rain and occasional sun:


One of the MOST fun signs I have seen thus far.

The Bixby Bridge, one of the numerous bridges on the rugged coast.

As I drove by I thought, "Huh those beach rocks are really smooth." I put 2 and 2 together and turned around to see this great sight:


Elephant seals in case you were curious.

Next was Hearst Castle:



The dining room where in the midst of silver, ivory, and ebony the guests would eat on paper plates.

That night I arrived in West Hollywood where I met Phil for the first time in nearly 3 years.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment