Sunday, January 31, 2010

San Antonio

Miles: 5264.3
Gallons Burned: 177.24
Caffeinated Drinks: 33

I entered New Orleans Last night around 6pm traveling from Avery Island, LA. I met up with a retired Naval Nuclear Technician and we talked in Bayou Segnette State Park's free laundry pavilion.
As I conduct a review of my trip' technical elements I notice three challenges thus far: Weather Proofing (dampness of all my gear is getting rather ridiculous), Fuel (each time I fill up about 1 cup of Gasoline leaks from a fitting between the port and the tank, and Windshield (a 6 inch crack inspired by a golf ball sized rock, thrown from a big rig, has matured into a 13 inch long python).

Well lets talk about San Antonio:

I pulled into town at about 7:15pm and stayed with Larry and Gale's daughter CJ and her husband Roger. Their 2 kids Josh and Caleb were great. They showed me amazing hospitality and were kind in every possible way. I am ashamed to say that I neglected to take their picture so I cannot share them fully with you all.
Upon their recommendation, I went into downtown San Antonio on the 28th and saw the Alamo Mission and the River walk.
The Alamo is the quintessential Texas site. The place where men were men and died as men. Prior to the famous battle the soldiers voted (they were not ordered) to fortify the Spanish Mission and stay to defend it instead of withdrawing. They new that there was no hope if the Mexican Army attacked and yet they chose to stay.




In summer the sun beats down on San Antonio and walking around is terribly uncomfortable. So what the city did was to create an oasis in the city the River Walk.
After parking, I walked West following the signs to the River Walk. I just sort of ran into it. Even half a block away there is no evidence of the RW. Only when you come to the bridge and look down do you see it. about 20 feet below street level is the base of this urban canyon:

There are boat tours and more than a dozen pedestrian arches flanking the walk. I hobbled all the way up one side and back the other taking pictures with many thanks to the guy who synthesized acetylsalicylic acid.



And I had to take a picture of the local fauna (notice the unusual "antlers" atop their heads) :

I wouldn't like to live in San Antonio (not enough cloud cover for me) yet I would love to come back again and eat at one of the open air cafes in the heat of summer next to the cool river.

7 comments:

  1. The Alamo is somewhere I would love to visit! I like that you're taking pictures, it's nice to see all the beautiful things you talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If you spend time in New Orleans, I suggest:

    1. Napoleon House- a bar/cafe with a great muffaletta sandwich! (not to mention the history)

    2. The National D-Day Museum

    3. Cafe du Monde- get a traditional beignet (yummy) and (if you like coffee) cafe au lait

    4. The French Quarter of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! I thoroughly enjoyed the French Quarter by walking the perimeter of 34 blocks plus the full length of Bourbon Street 3 times with a messed up calf muscle, because I am stubborn...Aspirin is so awesome. I just love to walk more than I hate the discomfort.
    So far I have eaten a beignet (however not at du Monde), jambalaya, gumbo, red beans, creole shrimp, catfish po'boy, bread pudding, and a great eclair...Hmm I should probably put all this into a blog post...I'll do it Later.
    Tomorrow is the WWII museum and 9th Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring back some spices from New Orleans and take a trip on the steam boat. Take lots of candid photos of people and places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought 2 gallons of genuine Tabasco Sauce from the factory in on Avery Island...Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring back spices we don't see in Seattle so we can make jambalaya or gumbo or whatever you enjoyed eating their - ask the cook - they will be happy to brag of their culinary skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure they use the sames spices just in a creole way. I'm not going back into the city anyhow. Tomorrow I move onto Pensacola FL.

    ReplyDelete