Sunday, February 14, 2010

Central Florida

Miles: 7765.3
Gallons Burned: 265.8
Caffeinated Drinks: 42

Holy cow! I added 1,000 miles from 11pm on February 12th to 6pm on February 14th. That's not at break neck speed, but most of them were at night and on unfamiliar roads all the while fighting my GPS unit and its strange concept of space and time.
No big deal.
Right now I'm at Eric's house (not the soon-to-be-winged naval aviator in Pensacola from my high school days) in Atlanta Georgia. He has one orange tabby in particular who is my buddy right now. He is constantly nosing the keyboard, so any misspellings are do to him. So how do I know Eric? Well I go to Mars Hill Church and there is this guy who started showing up to Campus Cleanup, Yuskie (pronounced Yoose-Kay). He had just moved out to Seattle from Atlanta for work. Yuskie is a solid guy who is honestly amazing. He is fun to be around and knows God in a refreshing way. So his buddy Eric from Buckhead Church (yeah, the name...its odd. But nothing compared to Mars Hill Church, sounds cultish) offered to put me up for tonight.
There is snow on the ground...Not good. I knew that the white was coming, but seeing it for the first time since New Mexico sends shivers down my spine.
How about I tell you about my time after Dunedin, FL?
Fort DeSoto was a strategic defense position guarding the entrance to Tampa Bay. It was built at the turn of last century.
The guns and fortifications are significant, but the purpose of the structure was to be an invisible mortar position that would deal massive damage to ships at close range (less than 5000 yards). The exposed side is overgrown by brush intentionally to provide camouflage. An invading ship wouldn't even see the lethal shot coming.


After the fort, I ran down to Myakka State Park in south central Florida. The park is famous for the two biggest airboats in the world and the best example of Florida's old prairies. They still burn the prairies to renew the ecosystem.
Both here and in the Everglades the vultures are a constant menace...to cars. Yeah they will eat the rubber tires off your car!

I got so close to this little guy that I almost stepped on him! Armadillos are really neat. I ran into at least 20 in my 5 hours at Myakka.

So as I drove through the park I realized there were no trail markers.
WARNING Random Aside!!
I love to hike. I have been known to walk the mile down to Lincoln Park in West Seattle and wander through the tall pines and cedars for hours lost in thought just to "hike". I have driven the 22 miles out to Tiger Mountain over and over just so I can pack 40 pounds of bricks up to the summit (Nick an I are building something...It'll be sweet when we're done). I love to drive the 195 miles out to Mount Rainier at least 6 times a summer (often alone) just so I can hike at 1-2 mile high altitudes. I like hiking!
So back to Myakka. They had NO trails, NO self guided tours. Only a road to drive. Well I couldn't stand for that! So I ditched my car, slapped on some Vietnam Marine Corp BDUs (battle dress uniform), laced up my steel toes, and charged into the brush. I still hadn't seen an alligator and I really wanted to. Very soon I came to a game trail and followed that. I saw this. Can you see the alligator? With my trusty 25X monocular, I could just make it out. I saw my first alligator! Yes!

Here are two pictures showing just how amazing this place is.


And I even took a picture of myself on location.

Sorry I look all pissed off. But the downpour started just as the picture was taken making a second shot dangerous for the camera.
After Mayakka, I headed south with the last of the day light being drenched in subtropical showers. I told George that I would stay near Myakka, but I changed my mind. I guess the rain sealed the deal. I pushed on to the Everglades so I could wake up in the warm southern sun. I took highway 41 instead of interstate 75. I figured I could save $5 on tolls by taking the county highway instead of the famed "Alligator Alley". I still stand by my decision, but I nearly bit it on that road.
I started down 41 at 9:30pm I anticipated a deserted stretch of straight blacktop. It wasn't.
In the first 20 minutes I dodged 4 oblivious armadillos. They aren't the most destructive things you can hit, but I'm not driving an uparmored turbo-diesel air ride equipped HMMWV(huvmee). I'm driving the Jolly Green (short for jolly green giant, because is is green, small, and sounds like a happy kid hopped up on Skittles each time I turn the key).
The really fun part came when I was doing 65 mph (105 kph for my English browsers) with my brights on and this blinding brown blur flew at me from my left. I swerved hard right and felt contact through the steering wheel. I counter-steered hard left feeling the car sliding sideways, so I tapped the brake to bring her out of the slide then counter-steered lightly left once more and came to a quick stop.
My post incident inspection revealed no damage to the car. My suspicion is that the deer's nose clipped the left side mirror casement and then the front or flank touched my left rear fender.
The whole ordeal reminded me of a night Joe and I were coming back to Hillsdale from a Ted Leo concert in Detroit. It was 2:30am and I was on my 3rd mug of "caffeine re-enforced cappuccino". We were at 68 mph (109 kph) and I looked this 10 point buck in the eye as I slammed the car hard right and hard left. On highway 41 I was not as heavily caffeinated, so my slower reflexes probably bloodied some poor deers nose.
I made it to Flamingo in the Everglades at about 12:45am and slept the sleep of the satiated.

No comments:

Post a Comment