Monday, February 1, 2010

Drawn and French Quartered

Miles: 5774.1
Gallons Burned: 198.2
Caffeinated Drinks: ??

I'm in Pensacola Florida sitting in the parking lot of the Naval Air Museum on naval Air Station Pensacola. I can hear Gulfstream jets and the occasional Trainer jet pass over head as I think back on my time in New Orleans...

On my way to that Restaurant with the Mango Margarita, I walked the perimeter of 34 city blocks in the French quarter, the full length of Bourbon Street 4 times, and Canal Street twice. Of course that was all done on my leg featuring the injured right calf. As mentioned before, Asprin = Win.
During this jaunt, I turned north from Jefferson Square to the rear of a Catholic Church. As I approached I saw the church's fenced-off garden and this statue.

I stopped to admire a statue of Jesus in the churchyard. The statue was lighted from beneath throwing its shadow onto a bare white wall. As I stood hands clasped about the cold wrought-iron bars, I heard familiar cords. "Eli, the Barrow boy", a song from the Decemberists, was being played by a man on the corner with his guitar. He sings the song of deep crushing sadness, brutal loss, and self destruction beautifully and brings tears to my eyes with his rendition.
Eli, the barrow boy, when they found him
Dressed all in corduroy, he had drowned in
The river down the way
They laid his body down in a church yard

This song is the song of the French Quarter for me:

These are some other sight of note (okay not the first one):
Aston Martin DB-9 ($180k) actually parked on the street!

BMW M6. I didn't even know they made one! ($102k) You may sense a pattern: cars.

These posts are scattered all over the French Quarter.

Sunday night in the Quarter: lights on, no one home.

Bourbon Street at 1am on a Saturday Night.

Each block in the French Quarter has a central courtyard. I took this in the courtyard of the Chartres House Cafe.

How many guys who are doing what I am doing actually pack an outfit like this with a long coat? (Yes I'm odd we've been over this)
Next time the run for Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment