Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Florida's Eastern Coast

Miles: 9624.3
Gallons Burned: 316.8 (total gas mileage is 30.377 so far)
Caffeinated Drinks: 59
Gigabytes of Pictures: 26.8

I'm sitting in Scoop Beauregard's Ice Cream and Coffee Shop. Enjoying a nice Latte. Contemplating a book. Yep life is good. Here in Falls Church the weather is cloudy and there are piles of snow everywhere...It's almost like there was a big storm here or something.
I just had this little blond-haired kid come up to me and say "Excuse me mister. But your computer is really cool my uncle has one just like it." All in one breath, then he turned away before I could even say thanks. Man, I clearly remember being that awkward yet bold and honest all at the same time. It was like a week ago! He just wanted to tell me exactly what he thought and that's all. Why do I feel self conscious and so often don't say what I think with boldness like that kid did? We should be more like that kid.
The odd and fantastic people I have run into on this trip have helped me to see why is is so stupid to live as I do: Self absorbed. From those kind folks at St. George's, the great young guy from the Alabama fireworks store, the kid from Wolf Mountain, the snow bird down in the Keys, the friends from school that I have seen, a fellow blogger from Bowling Green, the wonderful couples in San Antonio and Dunedin, all the people that have been there and been harsh or encouraging, the nice and cruel, the needy and the generous, all of you have been agents showing me how small my perspective has been. So thank you. So much.
Now that I have "introspected" a little how about we talk about what happened after my adventure in the Keys.
I slept that night at a rest stop on the Ronald Reagan/Florida's Turnpike. The next day I drove up the east coast of Florida on FL-1 and FL-A1A. I pulled off A1A at Patrick Air Force Base's Beach. There was an amazing beach with no wind and 8 foot waves that dozens of surfers were enjoying. Since this coast is open cold ocean, they were wearing wet suits. I'd love to learn to surf, maybe some day I'll head out to the Washington coast and give it a shot.

I made it to Cape Canaveral about 4pm and drove out to the Kennedy Space Center.



I bet you think I went into the visitor center...Well...No. It was late in the day and it cost $38. But I took pictures of the outside of the center!
On the way out I notice this place:

I guess NASA has its own nuclear reactor across the inter-coastal waterway.
I continued north to New Smyrna Beach and enjoyed seeing the cars out driving on the sand.

Next time St. Augustine and my night time shenanigans at Castillo de San Marcos...

4 comments:

  1. Hey Josh! it looks like you are having a great time! we miss ya brother, but im excited for what you have going on! I'll be praying for you, and i hope that the rest of your trip is as amazing as it has seemed so far! hope to see ya soon!
    -Jake Asplund

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Josh, that picture of the power plant is of Florida Power and Light's Cape Canaveral Plant. It is a fossil fuel powered. I grew up just a few miles up the road (towards New Smyrna). My Dad worked at that plant. It is tied into the power grid for the entire area, not just NASA. That point of the Indian River (part of the inter-coastal waterway), which is actually not a river but the world's largest brackish water lagoon, is a great place to go fishing...tarpon, snook, bonefish, steelhead, flounder...my mouth is watering, I should stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! The pictures are beautiful I love it you did a great job taking these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beach looks freezing! But I love the view, it’s breath taking.

    ReplyDelete